Weekly News Round-Up


Hot off the press this week!

This week, researchers from Oxford University published a study into Africa’s energy generation landscape which concluded that total electricity generation across the continent will double by 2030, with fossil fuels continuing to dominate the energy mix. Read more from Power Engineering International.

In Namibia, Canadian operator, ReconAfrica, began drilling a wildcat well in the country’s north-eastern Kavango Basin, the first in a planned three-well exploration campaign. Read more from Upstream.

To learn more about ReconAfrica’s plans in Namibia, watch the “Spotlight on Namibia” session from AOW Virtual, featuring ReconAfrica CEO Scot Evans and Namibia’s Petroleum Commissioner, Maggy Shino. Get it here.

Also in Namibia, Norwegian operator BW Energy increased its stake in the offshore Kudu License to 95%, following the signing of a farm-in and carry agreement with the National Petroleum Corporation of Namibia, who will retain the remaining 5% interest. Read more from OE Digital.

In Nigeria, Vice President Yemi Osinbajo joined those voicing their support for the long-awaited Petroleum Industry Bill. In talks held with the Oil Producers Trade Section and the Independent Petroleum Producers Group, he reiterated that the transformative bill would be passed this year,and also shared his view that gas would be crucial to the future of the country’s hydrocarbons sector. Read more from Energy Voice.

Not strictly oil and gas news, but the implementation of the African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA) continues to be welcomed across the globe. Oil, gas and associated products are in the continent’s top ten traded products by value, with AfCFTA likely to boost this further. Read more about AfCFTA from The Hill.
Back

Africa Oil Week Newsletter

Stay connected with our global oil, gas and energy community.
Register for AOW news.